Click here to sign up for our monthly e-newsletter, The US 6th Sense.
Overnight full closure of I-25: Overnight on Wednesday, Aug. 27, crews will close both directions of I-25 at the US 6 interchange between the hours of 11 p.m. and 5 a.m. During this closure, crews will pour the bridge deck on the new northbound I-25 to westbound US 6 off-ramp bridge.
Detour routes for this overnight closure will go as follows: Northbound I-25 motorists will detour off I-25 onto eastbound US 6, exit eastbound US 6 at Osage Street, take Osage Street to access the on-ramp to northbound I-25. Southbound I-25 motorists will detour west on US 6 to Federal Boulevard, south on Federal Boulevard to 5th Avenue to merge onto eastbound US 6, and east on US 6 to reconnect with southbound I-25. There could also be delays along eastbound US 6 near I-25 with additional traffic following this detour route.
Overnight closure of westbound US 6: On Thursday night, Aug. 28, crews will close westbound US 6 just east of I-25 for necessary roadway maintenance, including paving and re-striping operations. This closure will occur between the hours of 10 p.m. and 5 a.m. In conjunction with this work, the northbound I-25 off-ramp to westbound US 6 will close overnight as well. To detour around this closure, commuters should take Alameda Avenue or Colfax Avenue west to Federal Boulevard, then use the Federal Boulevard on-ramp to access westbound US 6.
Bridge work near I-25: There will be work each night on I-25 near US 6 with various lane closures as needed over the hours of 8 p.m. and 5 a.m. This work includes cleanup and bridge work on the US 6 bridge over I-25 and the new northbound I-25 off-ramp to westbound US 6 following the significant work performed this weekend in conjunction with the I-25 Gap Lane Project.
Commuters are advised to use caution and drive carefully through the new traffic alignment on US 6. Lanes have been narrowed slightly and the posted speed limit reduced to 45 mph.
Ongoing traffic impacts currently in place:
- 5th and Decatur drainage line installation: Daily, during the hours of 7 a.m. to 5 p.m., commuters should be on the lookout for various lane closures in either direction on 5th Avenue for continued drainage line installation.
- The Lowell on-ramp to eastbound US 6 will remain closed until fall 2014.
- The Bryant Street on and off-ramps are also closed for about one year for construction of the collector-distributor roads on both sides of US 6.
- The Osage Street on-ramp to westbound US 6 is closed until early 2015 while crews continue reconstruction of the US 6 bridges over I-25 and the BNSF railroad tracks. To detour around this closure, motorists should take Osage Street to 3rd Avenue, 3rd Avenue to Santa Fe Drive, Santa Fe Drive to 8th Avenue, 8th Avenue to Kalamath Street, and Kalamath Street south to access westbound US 6.
- All lanes on Federal Boulevard have been narrowed and southbound Federal is reduced to two lanes as efforts are under way to rebuild this bridge over US 6.