Construction has begun on the US 36 Express Lanes Project! The project is a multi-modal project led by the Colorado Department of Transportation (CDOT) and the Regional Transportation District (RTD) to reconstruct US 36 from Federal Boulevard to 88th Street in Louisville/Superior.
CDOT selected the Ames Granite Joint Venture team as the design-build contractor for the $317 million project, and they began construction in July 2012. The project will open to the public in Early 2015.
- Add an express lane in each direction of US 36 for Bus Rapid Transit (BRT), High Occupancy Vehicles (HOV) and tolled Single Occupancy Vehicles (SOV);
- Widen the highway to accommodate 12-foot-wide inside and outside shoulders;
- Replace the Wadsworth Parkway, Wadsworth Boulevard (at 112th Avenue), Lowell Boulevard and Sheridan Boulevard bridges, and the US 36 bridge over the Burlington Northern Santa Fe Railway.
- Add Bus Rapid Transit (BRT) improvements, including new electronic display signage at stations and bus priority improvements at ramps. The improvements also will allow buses to operate on the shoulders of US 36 between interchanges to decrease bus travel time;
- Install Intelligent Transportation Systems (ITS) for tolling, transit and traveler information, and incident management;
- Install a separate commuter bikeway along much of the corridor; and
- Improve RTD stations along the corridor, including new canopies with enhanced weather protection.